07 February 2008

Brought home by Bateman

I fell in love with Jason Bateman in Juno. He made it okay for me to listen to grunge rock again. the mere five seconds of hearing him and Ellen Page jam out 'Doll Parts' was awesome.

I drifted away from grunge because I felt betrayed. Big music took the original sound of the early 90's west coast music scene and turned it into something for everyone (i.e. Candlebox or Better Than Ezra). I identified with the heartache embodied in grunge rock. I felt it in my teenage soul. Seeing middle-aged people 'bop' to some toned-down version of Smells Like Teen Spirit pissed.me. off. And when the king fell, I moved on.

Really, I should thank big music. What they did to grunge rock opened my eyes to how flush old white dudes rule the world. Without it, I may not have become the music listener I am today. I may never have quit listening to that brain-washing-junk on the radio. Not accepting cookie-cutter music made me a braver person. Someone willing to take chances, and not just with music.

After a decade-plus of following my own path, I am able to go back to grunge with new appreciation. I also have a deeper appreciation for Jason Bateman. His performance in Juno nearly wiped Teen Wolf 2 from my memory.. Almost.